Applying to SUNYs is very important because ultimately, they are the most affordable schools (with the best educations) that exist outside of New York City.
For those who are eligible for fee waivers, the application fee of $40 per school is waived, saving you $160. However, if accepted to one of these institutions, you will save tens of thousands of dollars on tuition during your undergraduate degree, so it’s worth paying $40 per school even if you’re not eligible for a fee waiver.
BEFORE YOU APPLY! Make sure that you have chosen the 4 SUNYs you plan to apply to AND decided on majors (Remember, these can change, but you’ll need to choose a major when applying to each school).
How to apply:
1. Go to http://www.suny.edu
2. Select “Future Students”
3. Click on “Apply Now”
4. “Create a Login”
* Don’t forget to Capitalize your First and Last names.
* Make sure you have a professional e-mail address.
* Write down your Username and Password on your College Applications Sheet.
5. “Start Application”
* You should answer as many questions as possible, but you only NEED to answer questions with stars next to them.
Section 1: Preliminary Questions (You can go back to this secion by clicking “Preliminary Questions” on the left hand column of the page)
* For Question 2: You WILL BE a Freshman
* Question 3: If you are eligible for a SUNY Fee Waiver, you are also eligible to apply for EOP. If you click yes, the system will ask you to confirm by answering 3-4 questions about your status and income.
IF YOU LIE ABOUT THIS, SUNY WILL FIND OUT BECAUSE YOU MUST SUBMIT YOUR TAX AND INCOME INFORMATION TO RECEIVE FINANCIAL AID. IF THIS HAPPENS, YOUR APPLICATIONS WILL GET DELAYED UNTIL YOU PAY YOUR APPLICATION FEES. THIS MAY CAUSE YOU TO LOSE YOUR SPOT AT A SCHOOL.
* Question 4: You are applying for Fall 2010
Section 2: About Me (You can go back to this secion by clicking “About Me” on the left hand column of the page)
Don’t forget to Capitalize your First and Last names
* Social Security Number: If you are NOT SURE about your SSN, DON’T TYPE IT IN YET!!! Entering the incorrect SSN will cause you many headaches, at least an hour of phone time, and at least 2 weeks delay in your college application process.
* Date of Birth (mm/dd/yyyy): This means that if you’re birthday’s on July 6, 1992, you enter it (07/06/1992). That’s 2 numbers for the month, 2 numbers for the day, and 4 numbers (yyyy) for the year!
* If you DO NOT have Military Status and there is no option (Not applicable), leave it blank. The same goes for Disability Status.
*If you DO NOT have official or academic records under another name, DO NOT fill in “Former First Name” or “Former Last Name”
Section 3: My Addresses
* The following boroughs correspond with the listed counties:
Manhattan: New York
Staten Island: Richmond
Section 4: My Family
* An Alumni is somebody who has graduated from a University of College.
* If somebody in your family has graduated from a SUNY school, you should put their name in this section. You need to know what school they graduated from to enter it into this category.
Section 5: My Student Info
* You are applying to be a “Full-time” students. Don’t worry, full-time college is much easier than full-time high school. You won’t have to go to school all day AND you won’t even have school everyday.
* You are NOT an adult learner. Adult learners are people who are going back to finish their B.A. (Bachelor of Arts) when they’re in their 30s.
Section 6: My High School
* When searching for your high school, search by high school CEEB code: 333842. This is the same school code that you use when applying to the SATs and ACTs. If you put more information in, the computer will get confused and you will NOT find New Design.
* Your graduation status is : Will graduate
* Your date of high school graduation will be: 06/2010 (mm/yyyy), get it?
* You will ONLY check a response under the college credits question if you are in a “college course taught in high school” The only class like this right now is the College Now class in Psychology.
Section 7: My Campuses
* Remember, you’re enrolling for Fall 2010
* If you school is NOT FIT, apply for On-Campus housing. You can change your mind later, but having the option gives you more leeway in the decision you make later.
* You are NOT applying for Special Campus Project or Joint Admission.
* Click “Add Campus” to add another campus. After you’ve added your 4 campuses, click “Continue”
Only add 4 campuses, unless you want to pay $40 per extra campus (6 is the maximum number that you can apply to).
* After you list all of your campuses and press “Continue” you will have an option to Print your Application. DO THIS!
* Make sure your SSN (Social Security Number) is correct – REMEMBER the warning from above.
* Double check EVERYTHING! Making changes on your application take TIME…and you don’t have a lot of that.
MAKE SURE THAT YOU’VE UPDATED YOUR COLLEGE APPLICATIONS SHEET SO THAT EACH SUNY THAT YOU APPLIED TO IS LISTED WITH YOUR INTENDED MAJOR!
When the website asks you for payment, if you are eligible for a Fee Waiver, click fee waiver and continue. Otherwise, you will need a credit card to finish this part of your application.
When you’re SURE that your application is perfect and ready, SUBMIT it.
Print out 2 copies of each of the following (1 for your files and 1 for Tisha’s files):
1. A Confirmation page
2. 2 copies of the Student Counselor Form (Tisha gets both of these because she will send 1 out to each of your colleges and will keep 1 for your file in case 1 gets lost in the mail) – You will need to sign in the middle of the page where it asks for Student signature and make sure that the top is filled out.
As long as you print this right when you finish your application, it will be filled in, otherwise you’ll have to write everything by hand 2 times!
Click continue and then look at the list “My Submitted Applications”
If there is a Supplemental Application, click on the link to print the PDF. Read the Supplemental Application blog entry for help on completing these.
Most schools will have supplemental applications, so this blog will apply to all college and university applications.
* Print out copies of ALL supplemental applications.